Sunday, October 20, 2013

Holy Ghost Activity




Faith in God-Living and Learning the Gospel #3
Mark these verses about the Holy Ghost in your scriptures: John 14:16–172 Nephi 32:5, and Moroni 10:5. Discuss ways the Holy Ghost helps you.


Have the girls bring their own scriptures.

Ghost Cookies:

Our girls tend to arrive up to 20 minutes late, so I had an "early bird" activity for this one, it was helping make the refreshments.  When the first girl arrived I had her help me start melting 1 cup of white chocolate chips in a double boiler.  The next girl set out 20 nutter butter cookies and 40 mini chocolate chip eyes  Then I gave a butter knife to all the girls who had arrived to frost the cookies with the melted white chocolate and to give the ghosts eyes (and mouths if you want).  You could melt the chocolate chips in the microwave and draw ghostly mouths with toothpicks.  This took about fifteen minutes.  I thanked the girls for helping me make a nice refreshment for the rest of the group.  Then we were ready to officially start the activity.

ghost cookies picture.

Note: (to make "ghost cookies" more budget friendly, you could use EL fudge cookies because they are also ghost shaped and are half the price, you could also use regular chocolate chips for the eyes because you probably have some on hand and they are also cheaper).




I often remind the girls of the purpose of the Faith in God program.  It is a series of activities given to us by the First Presidency to help us in the years after we are baptized to keep our baptismal covenents, grow our testimony, and prepare to go to the temple at age 12!  We discuss why they might have chosen a certain activity for us to do.  This one is fairly obvious.

Learn how to mark a verse in your scriptures:

This was the first time most of the girls had ever marked a scripture.  We explained that St. John is in the Bible and that it is in the first half of the quadruple combination and the second half of the Bible.  The first person to find it would tell us the page number.  We helped girls with scripture tabs know what the tab abbreviation was.  After finding each scripture I explained it and told a brief personal experience.  I tried to share things that could happen to 8 and 9 year olds so they could start to recognize it in their own lives.  The three scriptures took 30 minutes.

Ghost Craft

After the scripture marking activity, we made ghost families with sharpies and semi-clear cups.  I showed this great picture from ProjectsForPreschoolers.com and they took it from there.  So simple and lots of fun.  I found glowsticks 50 fo $4 at the grocery store.  The dollar store had 5 for $1.  I gave each girl a few glowsticks to put in her ghosts.  If you bend them into a "U" and tape closed the bottom of the cup, a bracelet size just barely fits.  Some girls saved their glowsticks for Halloween.  Others broke them open at the activity which was probably the funnest way to go, but I gave them the choice.




my daughter found leftover white chocolate after the activity was over...
 
I had the girls bring milk jugs too if they had them, I figured it would get them curious about what we were doing.

my daughter's ghost family at bedtime.



inspiration pictures from the internet.



No comments:

Post a Comment